Saturday, June 16, 2012

Kate's Last Night with the Crew!


Today is my last day on the road with the Raincyclists – I am sad! Throughout this adventure I have never been more sand and soil ridden in my life; but I have also never been more proud of my son Joey and his friends Matt and Nate. The dedication this journey will take is unimaginable, but these young men are committed to the cause. Every opportunity to educate an acquaintance about juvenile arthritis is taken advantage of in a professional, compassionate and informative manner – not just by Joey, but by Nate and Matt as well.
I have had so much fun just hanging with and caring for this crew. As I say good-bye tomorrow morning I am happy to know that my sister Marilyn will be taking over as support. The boys have challenged through Mingus Mountain, Yarnell Hill and several other very scary, intimidating roadways. The more difficult the challenge was gave way for more exuberant celebration upon completion. The heat and wind of the desert was just as demanding and taxing as the mountain climbs, but as a team they worked through it.  I am certain there will be more risks to take and mountains to climb, but I am even more certain that these young men will continue forward with a positive attitude that will propel them to Portland, Maine.
As you follow this journey continue to send your positive energy to this crew. Be inspired, be proud and most importantly, be thankful for every day you have to share with your friends and family because as I see though Joey’s eyes, life is full of wonder and joy, and every moment should be savored. Continue to share Joey’s message, that “Kids get Arthritis too, and it shouldn’t stop one from challenging themselves or from following their dreams”. Joey, Matt and Nate, I will be with you throughout this entire journey…not literally!
You make me so proud – keep spinning those wheels and making a difference for families living with arthritis!

1 comment:

  1. Well, now it is my turn to join the guys on this awesome adventure. I am excited, a little nervous, and a allready homesick. 3 days of driving across the country has made me wonder at the challenges they will be faceing in the comeing days, weeks, months! It will be a journey worth following so come here we go!

    ReplyDelete